Thursday, February 5, 2009

How to Save Money On: Alcohol

Saving Money in College by Saving Money on Alcohol

Okay, so I chose to write about this because even though I do not drink, alcohol is a major money eater in college. My first tip would be to just not drink of course but I know that for some of you that just wouldn't fly so here are a few tips that I have gathered that may help you reduce your alcohol spending - key words, go cheap!

  1. My favorite and probably the cheapest of all - go to other people's parties. It's simple really, they buy the alcohol and spend their money while you drink the alcohol and spend none of yours :)
  2. Buy it on the cheap. Whenever you go to the store to buy wine or beer always look for the stuff that is cheap - they do make it. Think Boone's Farm and Pabst Blue Ribbon.
  3. If you like wine go to a winery. I recently toured a local winery and at the end of the tour they had wine to buy for $3! That is no lie. I am sure it is not always so discounted at other wineries but it is worth a trip.
  4. Be saavy about alcohol at Restaurants/bars. Restaurants are a no go for alcohol in my book just because the mark up for alcohol is crazy ridiculous. Next time you are out - look at the menu (if you haven't already). As for bars, they aren't so bad but in the interest of saving money look up what nights they are having specials and hit it up then.
  5. For you extreme devotees you can try brewing your own stuff! You can brew cheap wine and cheap beer at home - I understand it can be difficult but it might be a fun project.

So there you have it! You now have ideas so you can save money on alcohol!

No comments:

Post a Comment